Honey cake layers ingredients:
Sour cream frosting ingredients:
How to cook:
1. Prepare the dough for cake layers: mix the eggs, add a pinch of salt, sugar and beat the mixture with a whisk or mixer until smooth.
2. Add butter and honey.
3. Next, put the stewpan with this mixture on a small fire and with constant stirring, bring the mass to a boil, but do not boil so that the eggs do not curl.
4.Remove the stewpan from the heat, add soda to the mixture and mix thoroughly. The resulting mass should increase in volume due to the reaction of soda with honey.
5. As soon as the foam settles a little, we begin to add gradually the flour, kneading the dough.
6. First, mix the dough in a saucepan, and then, transfer the dough to the table as it becomes thick enough and continue to knead it with your hands. The dough should become relatively soft and slightly sticky, but after its cooling it should become denser
7. Cut the dough into 10 equal pieces, form neat balls from them and put them on a flat plate sprinkled with flour. Cover the dough with cling film and put in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
8. Sprinkle the working surface with flour and roll the balls from the dough into thin cakes.
9. Put the plate over your rolled dough and trace around it with a pizza cutter to get a perfect circle. Keep the scraps for later.
10. Transfer the dough to a large sheet of parchment paper and bake at 350˚F for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before stacking. Repeat with remaining layers.
11. Finally bake the scraps separated evenly on a re-used sheet of parchment.Once the scraps are baked, cooled and firm, you can crush them with a rolling pin or pulse them in a food processor until you have fine crumbs.
How to make frosting:
Beat 1 cup of heavy cream until fluffy and stiff peaks form (1-2 min on high spead)
In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream with powdered sugar. Fold the whipped cream into the sour cream and you have your frosting. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Assembling your Cake:
Spread frosting on each cake layer (don't skimp on it since the cake needs to absorb some of the cream to become ultra soft. Press the cake layers down gently as you go to keep the layers from having air gaps. Frost the top and sides with the remaining frosting.
Dust the top and sides with your breadcrumbs, then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. This cake needs time to absorb some of the cream and soften, so be patient. It's worth the wait!