How to cook:
1. Preheat oven to 248°F. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
2. Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition, until sugar dissolves.
3. Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk on high for 3 mins. Whisk in the vanilla essence.
4. Use two teaspoons to spoon merengue onto lined trays. Reduce the oven temperature to 212 °F.
5. Bake merengues for 1 hour 30 mins. Turn oven off and leave merengues in the oven to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
There are some rules that important to follow to get the best result in baking merengues:
it is necessary to be carefull when you separate egg whites from the yolks so that the yolk does not get into the whites.
Cold whites are better whipped.
Beat whites in a dry bowl, even the smallest drop of water or fat will ruin everything.